Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Back to School

After much anticipation, school has begun again!

 Gwen has grown up so much this summer (both emotionally and physically--- her legs have really sprouted and required lots of sewing to have a decent wardrobe! But THAT is a post for later this week) and is going into 2nd grade this year.
 But she is SOOOOO excited to be going back to school! At the teacher meet and greet yesterday we found out that several of her good friends from last year are in her class again this year, and she could not be happier about it! She was also really eager to turn in her sheet of summer reading "assignments" that got sent home at the end of last school year--- she completed 40 and is proud! Her biggest 'concern' for the first day was that I remember to make her an extra special lunch. She kept reminding me over and over the past couple days. I included heart cucumbers and a butterfly shaped sandwich along with a cute note, so hopefully that meets her expectations! lol
 Caroline is thrilled to be starting Kindergarten this year! Last spring we were going back and forth about her emotional/social readiness, but I'm glad we finally decided to send her to Kindergarten. She is going to do so well and grow so much this year!
 She is a spunky gal, but she has a great teacher and I just know she is going to thrive! I really felt the Spirit so strongly last night during her Father's Blessing that this year is going to be significant for her. She is growing up so quickly. She has such a passionate personality that she has definitely provided me with lots of growth opportunities as a parent. This week I've been thinking about how much she has taught me and how much I yearn for her to succeed. Go get em, Caroline!
 So excited!
 I made us mommy-daughter bracelets for the first day of school. Mine has matching beads from each of theirs. So they wear theirs on their kissing hand (a morning tradition of reading the book) left wrist (won't impede writing) and think of me. I wear mine and think of them. This is our first year to do this but I think it will be a new tradition. The girls loved it and I thought they were so cute snuggling their hands/wrists up to their faces!
I got emotional praying for them this morning (especially parting with a Kindergartner), but drop off went so quickly there wasn't time for tears. I did see Caroline got a little emotional as I was leaving, but she apparently recovered quickly and had a wonderful day!
 Caroline loved riding the bus home!
and she ACTUALLY TOLD ME lots of stories about her first day! Imagine that! I look forward to many more great answers to "how was school today?" that go beyond the standard answer of "good!"

Hooray for a new year! I can't tell ya how proud I am of both my little girlies!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the first day of school! Brings back lots of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, this is great. I love how excited they both are. You're a good Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the BEST mamma! Gwen and Caroline are so lucky to have you! What sweet dresses and cute bracelet idea! Love all of you!

    ReplyDelete