Friday, October 3, 2008

Delaying the Project...

No picture to go with this one. I'm just kind of postponing getting started on one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) projects for baby: sewing the bumper and matching valance.

don't get me wrong. I'm THRILLED to be making it myself and excited to have the finished product so cute with all the hand appliqued animals and bugs, and all... and the ears and wings that flap freely instead of being tacked down... I mean, these things are going to be ADORABLE! And I really love using my hands (and Jenni Harris's sewing machine) to do it, and I've got the time since I've finally gotten all the furniture finished, and I've eliminated the excuse of a cluttered room since I've finally finished organizing and tidying everything....

so why don't I want to march upstairs and get started?

I think it has something to do with knowing that once I get started, there is no going back til I'm completely finished. I'll no longer have nice, neat stacks of cute material folded up on my desk... I'll have a big work in progress.

it is kind of like that feeling you get before you start typing your huge research paper or thesis. you know. Like you've done ALL the prep work, all the compiling and quote selections, and all you have to do is dig down and commit to sitting in front of the computer for a dedicated 20+ hours or so just to put it all together and crank out the rough draft. But you don't want to do it. Don't want to start because you know you can't do it in 1/2 hour spurts: it has to be HOURS and HOURS to get it done. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Am I the only one who ever feels this way?

5 comments:

  1. Yep! I know what you're talking about! But seriously this bedding sounds soo cute! Ears and wings that flap freely.... creative!! It's gonna look great. =) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diving in is the best thing, but I know what you mean about the nice, neat piles of fabric vs. the chaos of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know what you mean!! It's not like you're trying to procrastinate, you're just waiting for the exact, perfect moment to start where there will be no other distractions. :) haha ... talk about justification!

    Just wait though - once you have a kid, you're life is forever lived by 30-minute segments, and you somehow have to find time to do everything you need to in those 30-minute gaps. Unfinished projects galore! :) Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your comparison of this enormous sewing project to writing a big paper - EXACTLY! The blog can be an excellent procrastination tool:) Can't wait to see some pictures of this sweet baby room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes. It seems so much more fun to have the cute material all looking nicely organized. Good luck, I'm sure it will turn out amazing. You are very talented.

    RE: "Follow the Prophet" march
    OK, we did this for FHE one night. We talked about what is a prophet and who is our prophet, then we each chose a prophet (modern or ancient) and made a paper bag puppet of them. Then we went around and shared who we picked and a sentence or two about what they did. We then put on our prophets and marched around while singing "Follow the Prophet." It is fun and Weston enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete